OK, it might not technically be ice cream season any longer, but since avocados are available year-round, this is a flavor that transcends summer, making it a savory treat you can enjoy any time. We made our batch dairy-free to accommodate our Paleo and vegan co-workers, but you can use milk for more authentic ice cream flavor. Bonus: no ice cream maker needed! Simply freeze and enjoy.
Tip: Use very ripe avocados. They’re more flavorful and easier to mash into a smooth consistency before throwing them in the blender.
Avocado Ice Cream
Made with avocados and coconut milk, this creamy frozen treat has plenty of healthy fats.
Yield: ~4 servings
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
- 1 /4 cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 1/ 3 cup coconut milk (you can also use almond milk, or regular milk)
- 2 tsp. lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- Smash avocado meat with a fork or spoon until there are no large lumps.
- Add honey and stir until mixed in.
- Put avocado-honey mixture into a blender or food processor.
- Add coconut milk, lemon juice and salt.
- Blend on medium until mixture is completely smooth.
- Scrape into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and freeze 3 hours, or until completely frozen.
- Scoop into individual bowls and serve.