We were pretty excited when Michelle Tam, the brains behind Nom Nom Paleo, visited us at the Spright offices and immediately got to work cooking up one of her signature dishes. These Vietnamese lettuce cups are perfect for a light lunch or dinner and pair excellently with Michelle’s Paleo Sriracha. Be sure to check out Michelle’s cookbook for more easy and flavorful recipes.
Nom Nom Paleo's Vietnamese Lettuce Cups
These fresh lettuce cups are quick, delicious, and absolutely filling.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil or fat of choice
- 1 small shallot, minced
- Kosher salt
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. Paleo-friendly fish sauce
- 2 tsp. fresh lime juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 medium Golden Delicious apple, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 c. minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. minced fresh mint
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh basil
- 1 head butter lettuce, leaves separated
- In a large skillet or wok, melt fat over medium heat. When it's shimmering, add shallot and a pinch of salt; sauté three minutes or until translucent. Toss in ground pork and cook, stirring, until no longer pink. Add the ginger and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant. Season with fish sauce, lime juice, and pepper. Remove from heat, add apple and minced herbs, then stir to combine. Serve in individual butter lettuce leaves with a garnish of pickled carrot and Sriracha.
From Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans by Michelle Tam and Henry Fong/Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC 2013