Are there times when you want something salty and savory for breakfast, but as soon as you finish up your sausage and eggs, you wish you had foraged for something sweet instead? This amazing recipe combines both flavor profiles together in one delicious breakfast, thanks to Stephanie Gaudreau, the founder of Stupid Easy Paleo. She recently released The Performance Paleo Cookbook, which compiles tons of her popular Paleo recipes into one colorful 224-page book.
Gaudreau is a former high school biology and chemistry teacher who grew up trying many different eating lifestyles, including Weight Watchers and vegetarianism. She switched to being Paleo in 2010 and never looked back. In her cookbook, she encourages readers to step into the journey of a Paleo lifestyle, using her easy and very straightforward recipes to build out meals. We’re excited to feature her on Spright, and we highly recommend you grab her cookbook to jumpstart your own Paleo challenge.
As Gaudreau states in her introduction: “I wrote this book for anyone who is passionate about performance, whether you train to beat your old personal bests or you put yourself on the competition floor to challenge your limits…No matter your sport or your personal goals, the recipes in The Performance Paleo Cookbook will help you eat better, train harder, get stronger and gain the competitive edge.”
Blueberry Pork Patties
A breakfast dish that hits both sweet and savory notes.
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 lb. (454 g) lean ground pork
- 1/2 cup (75 g) blueberries, chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp. (2 g) dried tarragon
- 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) coconut oil
- In a large bowl, combine the pork, blueberries, tarragon, fennel, salt, and pepper. Mix gently with your hands until everything is well combined but not overworked.
- At this point, take a small pinch of the meat and toss it into a skillet over medium heat with a bit of coconut oil to check the seasoning level. If it needs more salt and pepper, add it now.
- Form the meat into 8 small patties.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and melt the coconut oil. Fry the patties for 4 minutes on each side or until completely cooked through.
Tip: If you can’t find fresh blueberries or they’re not in season, frozen blueberries work. Just chop roughly while still frozen and toss them in.